What Michael Jackson can teach you about relationships
I know the correlation between Michael Jackson and dating seems like a stretch, but after you read this article, you will see the connection. Whether you love him or hate him, Michael has had a huge impact on pop culture and there are lessons to be learned about his life that can transform yours. Since he took everything to extreme, you may not realize at first how he could teach you anything, but take a closer look. You may see how to avoid similar pitfalls in your love life.
1. Resenting Your Parents – The story of Michael’s childhood and the resentment he had for his father is not a secret. Many believe that he had so much plastic surgery because he wanted to erase the image of this father’s face in his. In order to have a healthy romantic relationship, you must clear the baggage with your parents. No matter how severe they seem to have affected your life, it is not fair to you to keep holding on to the anger. This lack of forgiveness is blocked energy that keeps you from love. You may attract relationships, but you will find that the same story plays out with any partner you attract until you clear the underlying issue. It is never too late to let go of resentment.
2. The Masks You Wear – They say that Michael had two sides of him, his persona on stage and the quiet, sensitive man in private. How many times have you been on a date and let one of your masks show up instead of your authenticity? The person you go out with will respond to the person you present in that encounter. A first date usually reveals only the surface of you to your date and vice-versa. If you do not connect with a person on a first date, give him or her another chance. Some people take longer to feel comfortable enough to show their real selves. As you look for the good in others, they cannot help but find it in you.
3. You Cannot Manufacture Happiness – Michael seemed to have it all, fame and fortune – even the ability to find women to make children for him. I am saying he was not happy because I really do not know him personally, just did not seem like it to me. Just remember that anything external will never satisfy you. When you are dating, look for the person’s inner qualities besides their job title, income and physique, they may seem “good on paper” but those are always the ones who disappoint. A person in your life will not make you happy unless you are happy already. All the joy in the world begins with you allowing it in.
4. Numbing Your Pain – There are many rumors about Michael’s use of painkillers. In this society, many people try to numb themselves when life gets tough. Some people use drugs, alcohol and others may indulge in food. Living with a dull ache that never goes away but stays in check is not a very powerful way to be. For some people, superficial relationships keep them from getting hurt. By facing your perceived pain directly, you may realize that the source of discomfort was just an illusion. The story you made up about the situation could change and you may find yourself free. Do not stuff your feelings because they will come out eventually. Face them with power because on the other side of the ache is incredible joy. If you remain numb, you are cutting yourself off from an amazing experience.
5. If everything else fails, just dance! – We all remember the first time we saw Michael do the moonwalk. I used to dance to “Rock with You” with my girlfriends as a teenager during sleepovers. When I hear the old Michael Jackson tunes it brings me back to a time when I was innocent, carefree and wanted to have fun. How does this help with dating? Well, dancing can be a great way to release tension and lift your spirits. Moving your body and shifting your energy to joy can create a ripple effect out to the world. You will find if you do a little dance before you go out on the town or on a date, you can relieve nervous tension and be your best. Even if you never got the moonwalk down, you can swing to the beat of some old tunes from your younger years. Your subconscious will think you are back there again and even make you appear younger. Try it and don’t stop ’til you get enough!
Whether you like him or not, Michael did his best while he was here. By sending him off with love, you are simultaneously receiving the energy as well. Whatever judgment he brings out in you, turn around and look within to see where you are judging yourself. Look beyond the mask of outer behavior and see the magnificence in yourself and others. Everyone is your mirror, what reflection do you see?