Top 5 Questions for a First Date
So many people have trouble with coming up with the right conversation for their first date. There can be so much pressure on putting on a good impression that your intentions backfire when you open up your mouth. Here are some safe and easy questions to ask on a first date that will help you get to know the other person as well as generate an interesting conversation.
- All in the Family – Everyone has a family story, sibling rivalry or drama that they can discuss. Questions such as “are you an only child?” “how many siblings do you have?” do your parents live near you?” are all safe. Watch how your date answers the question and pick up clues on the type of family-person they are by how they describe their flesh and blood. You may find out if he is still hung up on his ex-wife/girlfriend. You will also find out what they feel about marriage and kids if you are lucky without asking directly!
- Do you have any pets? – This is good and bad. Ask about their animal, but don’t spend the whole evening on this subject! You don’t want to talk about your cats all night to someone who doesn’t connect with cats. If you are an animal lover, this is a great question to find out more about the person’s position is on pets and if they will fit into your life.
- Do you like your job? – There is so much juice in this question. You get to find out if they complain a lot about work (a preview of future conversations down the line to consider). Are they doing what they love? Consider if you are a 9-5 person and if he is an entrepreneur if your lifestyles would gel. You may also get a glimpse of how they act toward co-workers. Note that if they talk badly about others, you could be their next target.
- What do you like to do for fun? This helps you find out if you have common interests. If they don’t have any hobbies, you could become their hobby and may be swallowed up by their over-eagerness to spend all their free time with you. On the other hand, if they have too many other interests that do not fit with your lifestyle, you may never get to see him.
- What was the best day of your life? I saved the juicy one for last because it really makes people think. You will automatically generate a happy feeling inside your date which will make him remember you in a positive way. Oh, and be sure to have your happiest day on hand to share as well – he will ask! If he says that today was the best day because he met you, he’s coming on a little too strong.
Some of these questions may seem obvious, but you would be surprised as to how many people don’t know what to say or do on a first date when they are out of practice. The more dates you go on, the easier the conversations will flow. This will help you get started with one less thing to worry about. Now…you can focus on what to wear.