Single for the Holidays – Tips to Lighten Your Spirit
The holidays are always depressing for singles who truly want to be in a relationship. Many find this time of year to be extremely painful and heartbreaking. It is difficult watching your siblings’ children, new engagement announcements from friends and, worse, listening to the annoying advice you get from your aging relatives on how to find a good man. You may not be able to control having a man on your arm at the holiday gathering, but you can control how your mind thinks about your current fate. Here are some tips to help you keep your chin up and brave through the cold, lonely holidays with grace and ease:
- Don’t make the holidays such a big deal. Look at Thanksgiving, Christmas, Chanukah, New Year’s, etc. as just days in the year. When you have great expectations for these events, you will always be disappointed.
- Don’t fool yourself into thinking that you are broken because you are single. Take a realistic look at the couples around you. Are they really so blissfully happy? Just because they are a couple, doesn’t make them better than you. If you see beyond the surface, you will discover that many of the relationships around you are dysfunctional. Many singles tend to compare themselves to the couples as if they won a “badge of approval” from the love God. If you look closely, you will see they have other problems and that their life isn’t perfect just because they have a partner.
- Hold on to the thought that your single life is temporary. This, too, shall pass. You will have many future holidays with the one you love, just think about all you have to look forward to share with each other. You are going to end up with a great relationship that your married friends and family will probably envy. Just because your ideal partner did not arrive in time for the holidays this year, he could be in your life any day now.
- Find happy couples all through your holiday season and, instead of being jealous, say to yourself “Yes.” Your subconscious mind will be programmed to draw you to being a happy couple too.
- Send yourself the most warm, loving holiday card from your future partner. Find the perfect card and mail it to yourself. Really pretend that your ideal man sent it to you. Bring your visualizations of being a happy couple into the third dimension. Imagination is the key to attracting what you want.
Most of all, enjoy the holiday season this year and avoid wasting your precious time being unhappy. This could be your last holiday you will ever spend alone.