Creating your personal theme for 2014
A good friend of mine years ago told me about her tradition to give each new year her personal theme. She would say last year was my year of being fearless and this year is going to be about living my passion. I found this process inspiring and I thought everyone should do this. As the new year is approaching, I invite you to decide what theme you would like to make for 2014 so that you can create the year that you want to live into.
So, how do you create the theme that fits 2014 for you? Here are some ideas:
1. Journal about what have you avoided or put off this year. This can be a year of facing that.
- For example, if you have been putting off starting your own business, you may want to make this year of living your dream.
- If you have been working too hard, maybe this could be your year of balance.
- If you have been playing it safe with love, this could be your year of breaking out of your comfort zone.
2. Journal about how you have been feeling and choose how you want to feel about 2014. For example, if you went through a bad breakup. This could be your year of healing and new love.
3. Journal about your relationship with money. Maybe you had a tough 2013 financially; this could be your year of living abundantly.
The benefit of this exercise is to give you more focus. A simple reminder that you can post on your computer or in your bathroom – 2014 is the year of _______. Everything you do, think and feel should support that idea and you will see amazing things change in your life as you shift how you are being.
This process isn’t an affirmation, but more of a commitment to your highest self. To make this really effective, don’t just say this is my year to find love but identify how you should be in order to attract that love. For example, this is my year of loving and honoring me or my year of acknowledging my greatness or my year of not settling…you get the idea.
Of course, whenever you set an intention like this, you will get things and people to show up to test you. Don’t let them sway you or drag you down. Keep affirming who you are and what you want to move beyond the speed bumps that may occur along the way. Also, be certain only to share your theme with people who love and support you…avoid the dream-stealers who will just tear your theme apart. People who criticize are very insecure, you don’t need their approval. They cannot see your greatness because they cannot see it in themselves yet.
For me, I decided that 2014 is my year of adventure. I haven’t really traveled outside of the U.S. and want to set the intention to see the world this year. I want to do more things out of my comfort zone and enjoy the ride.
So, take some time and create the space to discover what your year is going to be for you. Make the word or phrase generate an emotion in you to give it more energy. Remember that you are limitless, so be empowered to make 2014 the way you design.
If you feel like it, share below your theme in this safe place so we can all cheer you on to your greatest self.